Thursday 13 September 2012

Romney Rant
I'm going to get this out right away so that's no confusion. I am LDS, which in modern language means that I am Mormon. As is presidential candidate Gov. Mitt Romney. I do not have a political affiliation but I take great interest in what both parties have to say and I care a great deal about the future of my country and the hands in which we place that future. I'd like to talk about Romney. He seems like a phenomenal man, a great leader, father, etc. I can't say for sure but I'm guessing from what I've seen. And yes, I do rather like the idea of having an LDS president. BUT THAT DOES NOT GOVERN MY VOTE!! I'm sorry, but I do not think, by any means, that one should vote for someone for their religion, because, truthfully, that's like voting for someone because they have a wonderful smile or sense of style. It looks nice, and it makes us happy to see him, but in what politically backwards universe does that make someone a good candidate to govern one of the most powerful countries in existence? I can understand if people decided to vote for him because they agreed with his policy, or his ideas for reforming a crippled country, but if you listen to all of his interviews and speeches, he doesn't give any indication of what those are. It sounds nice though, when he says it. It sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but he's not giving us a plan. Now I've been paying more attention to political chatter and listening to speeches and things like that recently because, even though I can't vote in this election, it matters to me who lives in the White House. And what I have observed is this: since the election of President Barack Obama, the Republican Party has acted like a group of bratty children. They didn't win, and therefore they are going to sit back and disagree with everything that comes before them just to spite the man who beat their guy. And when things didn't automatically fix themselves, they set about pointing fingers at the president, yelling as loudly as possible to all that will hear that the president didn't keep his promises. But look at it this way, the Republicans put an incompetent child in office, who destroyed the economy and started a costly war. By the time Bush left office, the US was a mess that was left for the next sucker who came into office to fix. It happened to be Obama and he had plans to clean it up. BUT HE COULD NOT DO IT ON HIS OWN! He needed help and cooperation, not just from his party but from the Republicans as well. But no, they sat back as he fumbled around trying to fix things while they turned down every bill and reform that he put on the table, even if the logic was sound and the solution one that could help American workers. Like I mentioned before, a group of bratty children, sore losers, who pouted for four years until they again had the chance to fight for the House again. And I don't think they're doing that great of a job. "Our campaign will not be dictated by fact-checkers." ......... And that is blatantly obvious, now isn't it? In their speeches, they have leveled offences against the president that hold no ground in fact. Now that's a campaign strategy that I've never heard before. And I really don't know how this campaign is going to go. I have relatives who are very vocal about their political beliefs in favor of Obama, and many friends (LDS friends, I might add) who are in the hole for Romney. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, firstly, don't vote for a man because you share his religion and because you think it would be amazing to have an LDS president. I personally think it would be cool too, and I even asked myself what would be so bad if he did take office. And then I started to listen to what he had to say. And it was an elegantly woven, eloquently stated PIECE OF CRAP. And secondly, don't dismiss a man who took office after a disaster took place on his soon-to-be doorstep and blame him for not cleaning up the Republicans mess fast enough. Give him another chance. You have no idea what obstacles he faced but you do know one thing, one thing that you really can't in good conscience deny, he tried. Look harder at what these politicians are saying, because this isn't just about who gets to move into the White House, its about our futures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment